Foundations of Philosophy of Science (5 cr)
- 1, 15, 29 March; 12, 19, 20, 26 April, 10, 24 May: 10-13 hs 17 April: 15-18 hs
- Room 412, Fac. Filosofia, UB.
In this course we will analyze the last three decades of the debate on scientific realism, from van Fraassen's constructive empiricism to Psillos' selective realism
1. Introduction. Types of anti/realism
2. The prima facie cases for realism and antirealism
3. Van Fraassen's constructive empiricism
4. Lipton and Boyd on non miracles and inference to best explanation
5. Laudan's pesimistic induction
6. Fine's deflationism
7. Giere's constructive realism
8. Worral's structural realism
9. Kitcher's and Psillos' selective realism
After two introductory sessions, every student will present one of the papers for discussion. There will be three final sessions delivered by Psillos for discussion of selective realism and general assessment.
Grading will consist in class presentation and final paper