Director’s Statement concerning the BIAP Workshop on Gender
Unfortunately, in the last hours of the BIAP Workshop on Gender, a protest action took place and unfolded in a way that led to a curtailment of the academic expression of one of the workshop speakers. Equally unfortunately, the composition of the workshop’s roster of speakers and one presentation’s title provoked serious concerns among members of the trans community, concerns that we were not adequately prepared to handle as events unfolded at the end of the workshop. BIAP as an organization, and all its members, are fully committed to academic freedom and the right of academics to discuss and debate their ideas freely. We also recognize that the right to free speech includes the right to protest speech, although the latter right does not overrule or nullify the former rights. While we regret the way that the workshop ended, BIAP remains entirely committed to promoting the free exchange of ideas, backed by rigorous analytical argumentation and criticism, in an environment of openness, cordiality and mutual respect.
BIAP Workshop on Gender
Barcelona 17-18 December 2019
Venue: Sala Polivalent de Mercè Rodoreda, Universitat Pompeu Fabra (campus Ciutadella, map)
Sponsors: FFI2016-81858-REDC MINECO/FEDER UE, AGAUR 2017 SGR 823, and Departament de Dret, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
Program (available in PDF here)
- 9:30-11:00 Esa Díaz-León: ‘An Inclusive Account of the Meaning of ‘Woman”
- 11:30-13:00 Anca Gheaus: ‘Gender Identity’
- 15:00-16:30 Iñigo Valero: ‘Explicating Planet vs. Ameliorating sex. The Limits of Non-epistemic Values in Conceptual Engineering’
- 17:00-18:30 Mari Mikkola: ‘Language and Social Ontology: The case of gender”’
- 9:30-11:00 Adèle Mercier: TBA
- 11:30-13:00 Paula Casal: ‘Distributive Justice and Female Longevity’
- 15:00-16:30 Ana Costa: ‘The ‘Woman’ in Abolitionist Feminism’
- 17:00-18:30 Pablo de Lora: ‘What is it Like to be a Trans? Four Puzzles on Gender Identity’
No registration fee but if interested in attending please contact Dan López de Sa at firstname.lastname@example.org