History of EMAC
The history of the European Meeting on Ancient Ceramics as a conference series goes back to the early 1990s. Initially, the meeting focused on the Mediterranean region, but over time the topics and scope of the conference have been greatly expanded and today it is no longer restricted to European ceramics.
We provide here a list of previous meetings and links to proceedings.
- 1st EMAC: Rome, 10-12 October 1991;
Burragato F., Grubessi O. & Lazzarini L. (eds.), 1994. 1st European workshop on archaeological ceramics. Rome.
- 2nd EMAC: Barcelona, 1993;
Vendrell-Saz, M., Picon, M. & Cuomo di Caprio, N. (eds.), 1993. Estudis sobre ceràmica antiga.
- 3rd EMAC: Riccione, 2-6 October 1995 (in the framework of the Fourth European Ceramic Society Conference);
Fabbri, B. (ed.), 1995. Fourth Euro-Ceramics (vol. 14): The cultural ceramic heritage. Faenza.
- 4th EMAC: Andorra, 1997;
4th European Meeting on Ancient Ceramics – Archaeological and Archaeometric Studies. Andorra 1997.
- 5th EMAC: Athens, 18-20 October 1999;
Kilikoglou, V., Hein, A. & Maniatis, Y. (eds.), 2002. Modern trends in scientific studies on ancient ceramics. Oxford: Archaeopress.
- 6th EMAC: Fribourg, 3-6 October 2001;
Di Pierro, S., Serneels, V. & Maggeti, M. (eds.), 2003. Ceramics in the society. Fribourg: Université de Fribourg.
- 7th EMAC: Lisbon, 27-31 October 2003;
Prudencio, M. I., Dias, M. I., Waerenborgh, J. C. (eds.), 2005. Understanding people through their pottery. Lisbon: Instituto Português de Arqueologia.
- 8th EMAC: Lyon, 2005;
Waksman, Y. (ed.) (2007). Archaeometric and archaeological approaches to ceramics. Oxford: Archaeopress.
- 9th EMAC: Budapest, 24-27 October 2007;
Biro, K. T., Szilagyi, V. & Kreiter, A. (eds.), 2009. Vessels: Inside and outside. Budapest: Hungarian National Museum (Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum).
- 10th EMAC: London, 10-13 September 2009;
Martinón-Torres, M. (ed.), 2014. “Craft and science: International perspectives on archaeological ceramics”. UCL Qatar Series in Archaeology and Cultural Heritage, vol. 1.
- 11th EMAC: Vienna, 29 September – 1 October 2011;
Hein, I., Biro, K., Buxeda i Garrigós, J., Day, P., Ionescu, C., Kilikoglou, V., Maggetti, M. & Waksman, Y. “Ancient ceramics – Analysis and components”. Applied Clay Science, vol. 82.
- 12th EMAC: Padova, 19-21 September 2013;
Maritan, L., Grifa, C. & Nodari, L. (eds.). “Inside the pottery: composition, technology, sources, provenance and use”. Periodico di Mineralogia, vol. 84.
- 13th EMAC: Athens, 24-26 September 2015
- 14th EMAC: Bordeaux, 6-9 September 2017