Objectives and competences
The master's degree in Spanish as a Foreign Language in Professional Environments provides training in grammar, preparation of learning materials, research and development of resources, cultural themes linked to the study of Spanish as a foreign language, languages and related areas of expertise. The programme is professionally oriented and permits students to complete their course work in professional contexts where Spanish as a foreign language is required. It also provides the theoretical and practical knowledge required to embark on doctoral studies, for those who wish to do so.
From a scientific point of view, the strength of this master's degree lies in its cross-disciplinary nature, as it encompasses the complexity of the study of Spanish as a historical language. The course seeks to explain the language as a phonological, morphological, syntactic and lexical-semantic system but also addresses the pragmatic and discursive aspects that play significant roles in the behaviour of Spanish in diverse communicative situations. In addition, consideration is given to the many contexts of Spanish usage, from the more colloquial and conversational to those requiring a more specialized register.
Skills and competences
Summary of generic competences
- Capacity to evaluate the linguistic and communicative quality of texts produced in Spanish and to interpret their ideological viewpoint and communicative purpose.
- Capacity to work independently and display the entrepreneurial skills to become fully immersed in professional or academic life.
Summary of specific competences
- Capacity to evaluate the conceptual complexity of the terms Spanish and foreign language with respect to learners and their characteristics (age, personal, social and cultural circumstances, needs, abilities, expectations and beliefs), in order to adapt the teaching and specialized use of Spanish to the needs of the classroom or recipients.
- Ability to apply in-depth (descriptive and explanatory) cultural and pragmatic linguistic knowledge of Spanish language use in context to the teaching of Spanish in the areas of Spanish as a foreign language and Spanish for specific purposes.
- Specific, specialized knowledge of linguistic and cultural variations in the Hispanic world, to ensure that prospective students acquire a broad competence in the use of the Spanish language.
- Capacity to apply appropriate strategies in the design of materials for the teaching and learning of grammatical, pragmatic and cultural aspects of language.
See full list of competences