Objectives and competences
- To provide students with knowledge of the fundamental principles and dynamics of the city and the characteristics of tourism.
- To train students to master theoretical and conceptual tools for analysing and interpreting complex urban and tourism phenomena.
- To acquire training in the use of new information and communication technologies in urban tourism, the management of databases in tourism companies and institutions, big data, and components of the new 'smart destination' paradigm.
- To train students to make decisions in positions of responsibility in tourism companies and related institutions.
- To develop professional profiles that reflect the importance of innovation in business management, and the need to understand and apply tourism intelligence.
- To acquire training in the analysis and understanding of tourism production and consumption processes in cities, in order to identify strengths and weaknesses and enable students to undertake projects and initiatives related to the economic and institutional framework of tourism in urban and metropolitan areas.
- To train students to critically analyse, appraise and integrate the different aspects of complex issues.
Skills and competences
- Capacity to recognise the foundations and dynamics of the city.
- Capacity to describe the bases of tourism management of the city and its governance.
- Capacity to identify the characteristics of the tourism phenomenon and of urban tourism in particular.
- Capacity to analyse and interpret the city as a tourism destination, and the destination as a tourism system.
- Capacity to interpret and assess the diversity of urban elements of heritage and their value to tourism.
- Capacity to analyse the dynamics of tourism markets and the contexts of the urban destination.
- Capacity to discuss the processes of leadership and management of tourism organisations, initiatives for the development of projects, and tourism products.
- Capacity to design and undertake tourism projects and the activities of production or consumption associated with tourism.
- Capacity to formulate processes of tourism development in cities, and the diversity of models.
- Capacity to apply methods and techniques of analysis and management of urban tourism.
- Capacity to apply instruments for planning and managing the urban destination, and techniques to assess the economic impact of urban tourism.
- Capacity to manage databases and documents in tourism companies and institutions in urban destinations, and components of the new paradigm of the smart urban destination.
- Capacity to design protocols for the creation, dissemination and application of tourism knowledge.
Basic and general competences
- Knowledge forming the basis of original thinking in the development or application of ideas, typically in a research context.
- Capacity to apply the acquired knowledge to problem-solving in new or relatively unknown environments within broader (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to the field of studies.
- Capacity to integrate knowledge and tackle the complexity of formulating judgements based on incomplete or limited information, taking due consideration of the social and ethical responsibilities involved in applying knowledge and making judgements.
- Capacity to communicate knowledge and conclusions and the grounds on which they have been reached to specialist and non-specialist audiences in a clear and unambiguous manner.
- Capacity for ongoing self-directed and independent learning.
- Capacity to work in interdisciplinary teams and at international level.
- Capacity to generate, process and analyse data and information relating to the study area.
- Capacity to design projects or plans of action aimed at identifying and resolving specific problems.
- Capacity to make original contributions in the context of advanced research or professional applications in the field of urban tourism.
- Capacity to make decisions, solve problems and negotiate effectively and independently.
- Capacity to use as a reference the principles of sustainability and innovation.
- Capacity to acquire theoretical and conceptual tools for the analysis and interpretation of complex urban and tourism phenomena.
- Capacity to apply information and communication technologies to urban tourism.