Objectives and competences
- To gain an understanding of production, sustainability and responsibility in aquaculture.
- To acquire knowledge of the latest developments in the nutrition, metabolism and growth of aquaculture species, focusing on theoretical issues and potential applications for enhanced product quality.
- To gain an understanding of the current state of knowledge in the immunology and pathology of fish species important in aquaculture, using the tools needed for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease and understanding the interaction of aquaculture and the environment.
- To understand the basic design criteria and engineering principles needed to set up and manage a successful aquaculture system, as well as the principles underlying the technical and business management of an aquaculture company and how to market the product.
- To acquire the skills, knowledge and tools to undertake research in public and private research centres.
- The ability to analyse, summarize and write documents and interpret professional and scientific protocols in the various specialized areas of aquaculture.
- Expertise in the use of information and communication technologies and awareness of the importance of debate and teamwork, interpersonal communication and responsibility.
- The ability to design experiments and apply scientific methods, which provides the sufficient autonomy to take part in scientific and technological collaborations and projects.
The ability to understand and select the appropriate nutritional, feeding and reproduction parameters to ensure a good quality product in aquaculture.
The ability to identify how systems of aquaculture production function and evaluate their impact on the environment, maintaining the health and well-being of the animals and giving priority to preventive rather than therapeutic strategies.
Capacity to design installations and define handling programs for an aquaculture farm, taking into account biological, physical and economic constraints, and ability to take decisions concerning the management and maintenance of the installations.