Teaching plan for the course unit

 

 

Close imatge de maquetació

 

Print

 

General information

 

Course unit name: Instrumentation and Remote Sensing in Meteorology

Course unit code: 571393

Academic year: 2019-2020

Coordinator: Joan Bech Rustullet

Department: Department of Applied Physics

Credits: 5

Single program: S

 

 

Estimated learning time

Total number of hours 125

 

Face-to-face learning activities

50

 

-  Lecture

 

25

 

-  Problem-solving class

 

22

 

-  Field trip

 

3

Supervised project

35

Independent learning

40

 

 

Competences to be gained during study

 

To understand acquired knowledge for its application in a research or development context.

To be able to apply the problem solving capacity acquired in a wide range of situations related to the subject.

To master basic fundamentals of the subject to allow further capacity building trough self-learning.

To analyze critically theoretical developments and consistency of observations regarding the subject.

To be able to set out and evaluate relevant problems of the subject in an effective and efficient way.

To be able to produce written an oral presentations related to the subject.

To be able to use the main meteorological instruments, observing systems, and to interpret satellite and weather radar images.

 

 

 

 

Learning objectives

 

Referring to knowledge

  • Learn fundamental concepts of meteorological instrumentation and remote sensing.
  • Learn the main meteorological instruments, their capabilities and limitations.
  • Learn the fundamentals of meteorological satellite interpretation and weather radar applications.

 

 

 

Teaching blocks

 

1. Meteorological instrumentation

*  
1. Introduction
2. Non-instrumental measurements
3. Temperature
4. Humidity
5. Pressure
6. Wind
7. Precipitation
8. Solar radiation
9. Meteorological stations

2. Meteorological remote-sensing

*  1. Introduction

2. Platforms and sensors

3. Geostationary & polar satellites

4. Satellite image interpretation: vis channels

5. Satellite image interpretation: ir channels

6. Satellite image interpretation: wv channels

7. Introduction to radar meteorology

8. Relevant factors for weather radar observations

 

 

Teaching methods and general organization

 

- Face-to-face classes using the blackboard, meteorological instruments, and/or projecting figures and schemes with beamer support (Power Point type presentations).

- Exercises and problem solving covering the different parts of the course.

 

 

Official assessment of learning outcomes

 

Resolution of exercises, problems and questions performed during the semester course. Continuous evaluations contribute to 40% of the final score and the other 60% corresponds to a final exam covering theory and problems. To pass the course a minimum final exam mark of 3.5/10 is required.

 

Examination-based assessment

Final exam covering theory and problems.