Teaching plan for the course unit

 

 

Close imatge de maquetació

 

Print

 

General information

 

Course unit name: Radar Meteorology

Course unit code: 571403

Academic year: 2019-2020

Coordinator: Joan Bech Rustullet

Department: Department of Applied Physics

Credits: 2,5

Single program: S

 

 

Estimated learning time

Total number of hours 62.5

 

Face-to-face learning activities

25

 

-  Lecture

 

10

 

-  Lecture with practical component

 

12

 

-  Field trip

 

3

Supervised project

17.5

Independent learning

20

 

 

Competences to be gained during study

 

To understand acquired knowledge for its application in a research or development context.

To be able to apply the problem solving capacity acquired in a wide range of situations related to the subject.

To master basic fundamentals of the subject to allow further capacity building trough self-learning.

To analyze critically theoretical developments and consistency of observations regarding the subject.

To be able to set out and evaluate relevant problems of the subject in an effective and efficient way.

To be able to produce written an oral presentations related to the subject.

To know and understand deeply the main physical processes and interactions associated to radar meteorology.

To be able to describe qualitatively and quantitatively atmospheric movements related to Doppler radar principles.

To be able to solve relevant problems either analytically or numerically related to radar meteorology.

 

 

 

 

Learning objectives

 

Referring to knowledge

  • Learn fundamental concepts of radar meteorology.
  • Learn basic equations used in weather radar applications (including radar equation, height-distance, Z-R relations).
  • Learn necessary topics to allow basic weather radar image interpretation (including anaprop, attenuation, blockage, second trip echoes)

 

 

 

Teaching blocks

 

1. Radar meteorology

*  
1. Introduction to radar meteorology.
2. Propagation of microwaves in the atmosphere.
3. The radar equation.
4. Doppler radar observations.
5. Quantitative precipitation estimates.
6. Radar observations of precipitation systems.

 

 

Teaching methods and general organization

 

Face-to-face classes using the blackboard and/or projecting figures and schemes with beamer support (Power Point type presentations).

Exercises and problem solving covering the different parts of the course

 

 

Official assessment of learning outcomes

 

Resolution of exercises, problems and questions performed during the semester course. Continuous evaluations contributes to 40% of the final score and the other 60% corresponds to a final exam covering theory and problems. To pass the course a minimum final exam mark of 3.5/10 is required.

 

Examination-based assessment

Final exam covering theory and problems