- Matos, P. and Pusceddu, A.M. (2021, forthcoming) “Austerity, the state and common sense in Europe: A comparative perspective on Italy and Portugal”. Anthropological Theory
- Matos, P. (2020) Disciplined Agency. Neoliberal precarity, generational dispossession and call centre labour in Portugal. Manchester: Manchester University Press, ISBN: 978-1-5261-3498-1
- Matos, P. (2020) “Austerity Welfare and the Moral Significance of Needs in Portugal”. In Grassroots Economies, 113-130. London: Pluto Press.
- Matos, P. and Sarkis, D. (2020) “The Body Politics of Austerity in Portugal and Spain: women, agency and dispossession”. In Grassroots Economies, 192-213. London: Pluto Press.
- Matos, P. (2019). “Locating precarization: the state, livelihoods and the politics of precarity in contemporary Portugal”. Dialectical Anthropology, 43(1): 15-30
- Matos, P. (2018), “Precarity, gender capital, and structures of (dis) empowerment in the neoliberal service economy” in Megha Amrith and Nina Sahraoui (eds), Gender, Work and Migration: Agency in Gendered Labour Settings, London: Routledge
- Matos, P. (2016) “Gender commodification and precarity in Portuguese call centres: the (re)production of inequality” in Déjà Lu by World Council Anthropological Associations, 4. Invited reprint by the editorial board of Etnográfica. Article selected to represent the journal in 2014.