The central objective of the Master is the training of scientists and professionals
specialised in Microbiology for its insertion in the industrial,
services, sanitary, academic sector, and in public and private research
centres. The Master insists on a special way in the integrated and
multidisciplinary education of students. Other main aspects are to
stimulate the critic and evaluative capacity of students, as well as the ability to solve problems, to train specialists with autonomy and capability of taking decisions in their scientific and professional activity .
The structure of the Master, configured in interactive modules, with
theoretical contents and practical activities, in a cooperation context
between students and professors, within the frame of developing
research projects and short stays in professional environments external
to University, is a fundamental tool for the consecution of its
objectives, which are:
To provide a solid and updated training in basic methodological and
applied knowledge in Microbiology to university degrees (4/5 year
studies at the university) and professionals related to health, natural
environment, alimentary industry, pharmacy industry and biotechnology.
To provide a scientific basis, and methodological abilities, to set up
a Doctoral Thesis in the Microbiology domain and to form researchers in
basic and applied research in this area of knowledge.
To train specialised professionals in the advanced aspects in
Microbiology for their labour insertion in companies in the industrial,
sanitary and services areas; either in the production and analysis
aspects as in I+D+I.
- Skills in Microbiology basic methodologies.
- Skills in bacteria, virus and eukaryotic microorganisms culture.
- Skills in molecular methodologies for microorganism identification.
- To know microarrays techniques.
- To know the advanced techniques in microscopy.
- To know the responsible microorganisms of the main infectious pathologies.
- To know the aetiology and pathogenesis mechanisms of microorganisms.
- Skills in infectious diseases diagnose systems.
- To know in depth the biology of prokaryotic organisms and their incorporation to the environment.
- Know the bacterial physiologic and genetic adaptations to their environment.
- To know the signalling and communication in the prokaryotic world.
- To know the structure, genomic organization, and replication in viruses.
- To know the theoretic basis of the application of microorganisms in biotechnology.
- To know the culture techniques of microorganisms in bio-reactors.
- To know the methodology in design and fabrication of new antibiotics.
- To know the use of microorganisms in food production.
- To know the application of microorganisms in the fabrication of new ecological products.
- To know the function of microorganisms in the development of sustainable production methodologies.
- To acquire knowledge in the microorganism activity in natural environment.
- To know the relationships between microorganisms and pollutants elimination from the natural environment.
- To know the methodologies in water and soil bioremediation.
- To know the use of microorganisms in residues evaluation.
- To know the ecological and industrial aspects in the use of genetically manipulated microorganisms.
- Skills in parasitological analysis in samples of human or animal, environmental and alimentary origin.
- Skills in parasite diseases diagnosis.
- Capability to analyse the microbiological critical points in drugs and medicines elaboration.
- Capability to propose and evaluate new antibacterial targets.
The generic competences derive from the adaptation of the Dublin
Descriptors to the contents of the Master in Advanced Microbiology.
- Capability to raise and solve basic questions about living beings.
- Capabilities to search, obtain, organise, and interpret scientific and technological information.
- Capability to use basic scientific methodology in basic and applied research.
- Capability to analyse results with logical, critical and creative sense.
- Capability to define problems and raise hypothesis and research strategies.
- Capability to understand papers in their educational process and professional career.
- Capability to dialogue with the scientific community and the social environment.
- Capability of interaction with productive and business sector, and to transfer knowledge.
- Capability to divulgate and communicate results to non specialised audiences.
- Capability of self-learning and self-evaluation.
- Capability to work as part of a team and cooperate with multidisciplinary groups.
- Capability of autonomy and decision in the scientific and professional career.
The Master in Advanced Microbiology provides continuity to the Doctorate Program with Quality Mention “Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology”,
Interuniversity Program UB-UIB coordinated by the UB, which counts with
the participation of the Microbiology Department of the UB and the
Biology Department of the UIB. Such interuniversity program was
distinguished with the Quality Mention by the Ministry of Education and
Science in 2004, mention which has been renovated with no interruption
till present. The Interuniversity Doctorate Program appeared owing to
the convergence of research groups in Microbiology from the Biology
Faculty with those from the UIB, with the aim of coordinating and
gathering their efforts in research and teaching, so as to offer a high
quality and transversal education within the Microbiology domain.
The implantation of the Master in Advanced Microbiology proposed here
will surpass the migration and de-programming of the Interuniversity
Doctorate Program UB-UIB with Quality Mention “Environmental
Microbiology and Biotechnology”. However, it is possible that along the
implantation period of the new POPs, the Master and Doctorate Program
will cohabit till the definitive extinction of the latter. During such
period of time, and to facilitate students' access, the appropriate
validation and joint teaching levels will be established.