Barcelona Institute of Economics to calculate the tax gap in Catalonia
The Barcelona Institute of Economics (IEB) has been appointed by the Catalan Ministry of Economy to calculate the tax gap in Catalonia. The tax gap is the shortfall between the total amount of taxes expected and the sums actually received by a government. It allows countries to estimate the existing fiscal fraud and to quantify the performance of their tax administration. Not only will the IEB assess the tax gap but they will also identity the reasons why it exists.
This project, which is worth 45,000 euros will be led by IEB researcher Alejandro Esteller. IEB Secretary-Manager José María Durán-Cabré, as well Mariona Mas and Luca Salvadori, two researchers from the aforementioned institution, will also support him. Furthermore, the multinational consulting firm Everis will also be involved as a subcontracted company.
Over the last few years, the IEB has believed in the use of the tax-gap to measure the performance of tax administrations. In fact, this idea was strongly defended by José María Durán-Cabré and Alejandro Esteller as they presented their book De nuestros impuestos y su administración in July 2015 at Barcelona Economic Circle.
More information HERE.
- The University of Barcelona promotes innovation through Emprèn!UB Award 2017
- May is the ‘Careers Month’ at the UB School of Economics
- "The research environment at the UB School of Economics is active and stimulating"
- Ramon Alemany takes office as Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Business
- Research assistant position opportunity at the Institutions and Political Economy Research Group
- Call for papers open for the VIII Workshop on Economics of Education at the University of Barcelona
- Barcelona Institute of Economics to calculate the tax gap in Catalonia
- UB School of Economics researcher Marta Curto-Grau awarded Marie Curie fellowship to study the impact of politicians’ personal traits on public policies
- Hundreds of students approach UB School of Economics during Barcelona’s postgraduate fair “Futura”