All international students must take out medical insurance for their stay at the UB.

  • Students from countries that are members of the European Economic Area (European Union countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and who are entitled to Social Security benefit in their own country should present their European health insurance card. The form for this card is issued by your country’s public health authorities and entitles you to medical care in Spain.
  • Students from countries outside the European Economic Area should establish whether there is a medical agreement between the social security system in their country and in Spain (this is the case for some Latin American countries).  If there is one, you should request the relevant document from the health authorities in your country. This document will entitle you to medical care in Spain.
  • All other students must have a private medical insurance for the duration of their stay at the University of Barcelona. You should obtain a document from your insurance company, in Spanish, Catalan, English or French if possible, stating that you are covered while studying in Spain. You have the option of purchasing one, with a insurance company, GDS Risk Solutions, who has signed an agreement with the UB:   COBERTIS (Roger de Llúria, 44, 5a. planta. Tel. 93 488 34 87)

On your arrival at the UB, you will be requested to show a copy of your medical insurance.