Conciliar Seminary, façade

Main façade of the Barcelona Conciliar Seminary, at 231, Carrer de la Diputació.

After various sites within the walls of the old city, the Conciliar Seminary came to occupy a site outside the urban area, behind the new University. In 1878, the architect Elias Rogent, who had designed the University, received a commission from the Diocesan Vicar of Barcelona, Joan de Palau Soler, to direct the works on the new Seminary. Once the conditions had been drawn up and the budget for the first phase of the works approved, the new Bishop of Barcelona, Josep M. Urquinaona, presided over the solemn ceremony to lay the first stone of the Seminary on Sunday, 4 May 1879.

Image: © University of Barcelona