MIPE is a collaborative project by three internationally recognized research groups based at University of Barcelona. These research groups share strong ties and are home to faculty, researchers, visiting scholars and graduate students at the top of their fields.
Comparative Politics (IPERG). Principal investigator: Carles Boix
The main goal of IPERG is to foster the study the role of institutions (from political regimes to parties and electoral norms) on the emergence of political order and stability, the political representation of individual and social interests, and economic development and redistribution.
- Further information: IPERG
Political Economy (IEB). Principal investigator: Albert Solé-Ollé
The Barcelona Institute of Economics (IEB) is a research center whose goals are to promote and disseminate work in applied economics, and to contribute to the debate and decision-making process in economic policy.
- Further information: IEB
Economic History and Development. Principal investigator: Alfonso Herranz-Loncán
The Economic History and Development research group focuses on the study of long-term economic change with an inter-disciplinary perspective. Combining approaches from different Social Sciences, we address the following questions:
- What are the main characteristics of economic development in the long-term?
- What is the role of institutions, state capacity and public policies in long-term economic change?
- How does Economic History inform our knowledge of current economic development in the global South?
- What is the relationship between economic growth and environmental change?
- How does economic change impact inequality and distributive conflict in the long-term?
- Further information: Department of Economic History, Institutions, Politics and World Economy