UB School of Economics researchers Enric Tello, Marc Badia-Miró awarded Ramon Garrabou Prize in Economic History
The UB School of Economics researchers Enric Tello and Marc Badia-Miró have been awarded the 14th Ramon Garrabou Prize for the best article in Economic History by the Agrarian History Studies Society (SEHA). The study was published in the scientific journal Historia Agraria under the title Land-use and rural inequality profiles in the province of Barcelona in mid-nineteenth century.
The SEHA board of directors awarded the prize to this article for the “successful effort of the authors–in a powerful and innovative study–to transcend different historiographic traditions, between economic history and agroecology, to provide an answer for topics with a long historical tradition and address pressing issues of today at the same time: The impact of inequality in income distribution on the processes of agricultural growth and specialisation”. The SEHA board of directors also highlighted that the researchers “raised the right questions and got the right answers, turning the study of a regional case into a methodological challenge for the entire scientific community”.
This study examines how winegrowing specialisation in Catalonia correlated with agricultural income distribution in the municipalities of the province of Barcelona during the mid-nineteenth century. To do so, Enric Tello and Marc Badía-Miró applied common inequality indices like the Theil index along with new ones such as the inequality possible frontier (IPF) and Inequality Extraction Ratios (IER). The results confirm that inequality in agricultural income distribution was lower in predominantly winegrowing municipalities than in timber and cereal-growing ones, despite the fact that commercial specialisation and higher population densities could have extended the inequality possible frontier of those winegrowing areas in the mid-nineteenth century.
- Firms’ choice between technological cooperation and outsourcing should take regional context into account, research finds
- UB School of Economics researchers Enric Tello, Marc Badia-Miró awarded Ramon Garrabou Prize in Economic History
- UB School of Economics researcher Antonio Di Paolo awarded funding by La Caixa for socially-oriented research projects
- UB School of Economics to host conference on Population Economics in 2020
- Department of Economics hiring Associate or Assistant Professor in Energy and Environmental Economics
- Four new three-year post-doctoral opportunities at the UB School of Economics
- Job Market candidates list for 2019/20 now available on UB School of Economics website
- MSc in Economics student Ricard Grèbol Jiménez awarded Masters of Excellence scholarship from Catalunya-La Pedrera Foundation
- New research suggests hiring subsidies are ineffective to promote employment amongst disabled people in Spain