Senior Researcher at Computer Vision Center (CVC)
Head of “Computer Vision and Machine Learning at the University of Barcelona” consolidated research group (www.ub.edu/cvub) SGR 1742.
Collaborator of the State Agency of Research (Agencia Estatal de Investigación) area TIC (INF), División de Coordinación, Evaluación y Seguimiento Científico Técnico, November 2019.Personal Web: http://www.ub.edu/cvub/petiaradeva, email: petia dot ivanova at ub dot edu Google Scholar Citations, Microsoft Academic Record, LinkedIn, ResearchGate We often have open postdoc positions on Machine learning and Computer Vision. If you are interested, send an email to radevap at gmail dot com We have a vacant Master and/or PhD Fellowship on Deep learning and applications to real problems! If you are interested, send your CV and Academic transcript to radevap at gmail dot com
Prof. Petia Radeva is a Full professor at the Universitat de Barcelona (UB), PI of the Consolidated Research Group “Computer Vision and Machine Learning” at the University of Barcelona (CVUB) at UB (www.ub.edu/cvub) and Senior researcher in Computer Vision Center (www.cvc.uab.es). She was PI of UB in 4 European, 3 international and more than 20 national projects devoted to applying Computer Vision and Machine learning for real problems like food intake monitoring (e.g. for patients with kidney transplants and for older people). Petia Radeva is a REA-FET-OPEN vice-chair since 2015 on, and international mentor in the Wild Cards EIT program since 2017.
She is an Associate editor of Pattern Recognition journal (Q1) and International Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation (Q2).
Petia Radeva has been awarded IAPR Fellow since 2015, ICREA Academia assigned to the 30 best scientists in Catalonia for her scientific merits since 2014, received several international awards (“Aurora Pons Porrata” of CIARP, Prize “Antonio Caparrós” for the best technology transfer of UB, etc).
She supervised 18 PhD students and published more than 100 SCI journal publications and 250 international chapters and proceedings, her Google scholar h-index is 44 with more than 7600 cites and WOS h-index: 79.
Currently, member of:
- Computer Vision and Machine Learning at the University of Barcelona (CVUB)
- Computer Vision Center (CVC)
- Institute of Mathematics of the University of Barcelona (IMUB)
- BARCELONA GRADUATE SCHOOL OF MATHEMATICS (BSGMath)
- IAPR Fellow
- Asociación Española de Reconocimiento de Formas y Análisis de Imágenes (AERFAI)
My research interests are in the fields of:
- Food image recognition by end-to-end learning
- Food intake monitoring by Deep learning
- Domain addaptation and multi-task learning
- Uncertainty modeling
- Lifelogging and egocentric vision
- Event detection
- Object discovery
- Video segmentation and analysis
- Image segmentation
- Multi-class classification
Applications of Computer Vision and Machine Learning to Healthcare deserve special interest to me. In particular:
- Applying life-logging to Mild Cognitive Impairment patients.
- Applying life-logging to improve healthy habits of persons.
- Wireless endoscopy for intestine motility disorders diagnosis.
- Registration and retrieval of IVUS pullbacks for pre- post-intervention assessment.
Selected Recent Publications
- Petia Radeva, Jasjit S Dr Suri, Vascular and Intravascular Imaging Trends, Analysis, and Challenges: Stent Applications (Volume 1) (Programme: IOP Expanding Physics (Volume 1)), Oct 31, 2019.
- Vascular and Intravalcular Imaging Trends, Analysis, and Challenges: Plaque Characterization (Volume 2) (Programme: IOP Expanding Physics (Volume 2)), Oct 31, 2019.
- Eduardo Aguilar, Marc Bolaños, Petia Radeva: Regularized uncertainty-based multi-task learning model for food analysis. J. Visual Communication and Image Representation 60: 360-370 (2019)
- Md. Mostafa Kamal Sarker, Hatem A. Rashwan, Farhan Akram, Estefanía Talavera, Syeda Furruka Banu, Petia Radeva, Domenec Puig: Recognizing Food Places in Egocentric Photo-Streams Using Multi-Scale Atrous Convolutional Networks and Self-Attention Mechanism. IEEE Access 7: 39069-39082 (2019)
- Stefan Lonn, Petia Radeva, Mariella Dimiccoli: Smartphone picture organization: A hierarchical approach. Computer Vision and Image Understanding 187 (2019)
- Maedeh Aghaei, Mariella Dimiccoli, Cristian Canton-Ferrer, Petia Radeva:
Towards social pattern characterization in egocentric photo-streams. Computer Vision and Image Understanding 171: 104-117 (2018)
- Marc Bolaños, Álvaro Peris, Francisco Casacuberta, Sergi Soler, Petia Radeva:
Egocentric video description based on temporally-linked sequences. J. Visual Communication and Image Representation 50: 205-216 (2018)
- Mariella Dimiccoli, Cathal Gurrin, David J. Crandall, Xavier Giró, Petia Radeva:
Introduction to the special issue: Egocentric Vision and Lifelogging. J. Visual Communication and Image Representation 55: 352-353 (2018)
- Alejandro Cartas, Juan Marín, Petia Radeva, Mariella Dimiccoli: Batch-based activity recognition from egocentric photo-streams revisited. Pattern Anal. Appl. 21(4): 953-965 (2018)
- Eduardo Aguilar, Beatriz Remeseiro, Marc Bolaños, Petia Radeva: Grab, Pay, and Eat: Semantic Food Detection for Smart Restaurants. IEEE Trans. Multimedia 20(12): 3266-3275 (2018)
- Mariella Dimiccoli, Marc Bolaños, Estefanía Talavera, Maedeh Aghaei, Stavri G. Nikolov, Petia Radeva: SR-clustering: Semantic regularized clustering for egocentric photo streams segmentation.Computer Vision and Image Understanding 155: 55-69 (2017)
- Yan Yan, Yahong Han, Petia Radeva, Qi Tian: Guest Editorial: Intermediate representation for vision and multimedia applications. J. Visual Communication and Image Representation 44: 227-228 (2017)
- Marc Bolaños, Mariella Dimiccoli, Petia Radeva: Toward Storytelling From Visual Lifelogging: An Overview. IEEE Trans. Human-Machine Systems 47(1): 77-90 (2017)
- Karim Lekadir, Alfiia Galimzianova, Angels Betriu, Maria del Mar Vila, Laura Igual, Daniel L. Rubin, Elvira Fernandez, Petia Radeva, Sandy Napel: A Convolutional Neural Network for Automatic Characterization of Plaque Composition in Carotid Ultrasound. IEEE J. Biomedical and Health Informatics 21(1): 48-55 (2017)
- Maedeh Aghaei, Federico Parezzan, Mariella Dimiccoli, Petia Radeva, Marco Cristani: Clothing and People – A Social Signal Processing Perspective. FG 2017: 532-537, CoRR abs/1704.02231 (2017)
- Alejandro Cartas, Juan Marín, Petia Radeva, Mariella Dimiccoli: Recognizing Activities of Daily Living from Egocentric Images. IbPRIA 2017: 87-95 CoRR abs/1704.04097
- Gabriel Oliveira-Barra, Mariella Dimiccoli, Petia Radeva: Leveraging Activity Indexing for Egocentric Image Retrieval. IbPRIA 2017: 295-303
- Marc Bolaños, Álvaro Peris, Francisco Casacuberta, Petia Radeva: VIBIKNet: Visual Bidirectional Kernelized Network for Visual Question Answering. IbPRIA2017: 372-380
- Estefanía Talavera, Nicola Strisciuglio, Nicolai Petkov, Petia Radeva: Sentiment Recognition in Egocentric Photostreams. IbPRIA 2017: 471-479 CoRR abs/1703.09933
- Maedeh Aghaei, Mariella Dimiccoli, Petia Radeva: All the people around me: face discovery in egocentric photo-streams, ICIP’2017, China, CoRR abs/1703.01790 (2017)
- Marc Bolaños, Álvaro Peris, Francisco Casacuberta, Sergi Soler, Petia Radeva: Egocentric Video Description based on Temporally-Linked Sequences. CoRR abs/1704.02163 (2017)
- Marc Bolaños, Aina Ferrà, Petia Radeva: Food Ingredients Recognition through Multi-label Learning. MADiMA, ICAIP’2017, CoRR abs/1707.08816 (2017)
- Álvaro Peris, Marc Bolaños, Petia Radeva, Francisco Casacuberta:
Video Description Using Bidirectional Recurrent Neural Networks. ICANN (2) 2016: 3-11
- Santi Seguí, Michal Drozdzal, Guillem Pascual, Petia Radeva, Carolina Malagelada, Fernando Azpiroz, Jordi Vitrià, Generic Feature Learning for Wireless Capsule Endoscopy Analysis, Computers in Biology and Medicine, Volume 79, 1 December 2016, Pages 163-172 arXiv:1607.07604, 2016
- Maedeh Aghaei, Mariella Dimiccoli, Petia Radeva, Towards Social Interaction Detection in Egocentric Photo-streams, 4th Workshop on Egocentric (First-Person) Vision, CVPR’2016, Las Vegas, USA, 2016.
- Maedeh Aghaei, Mariella Dimiccoli, Petia Radeva. ICME Workshops 2015: With Whom Do I Interact? Detecting Social Interactions in Egocentric Photo-streams, ICPR’16, Cancun, Mexico, arXiv:1605.04129, 2016.
- M. Carne, X. Giro-i-Nieto, P. Radeva, C. Gurrin, EgoMemNet: Visual Memorability Adaptation to Egocentric Images, 4th Workshop on Egocentric (First-Person) Vision, CVPR’2016, Las Vegas, USA, 2016.
- Marc Bolaños, Petia Radeva: Simultaneous Food Localization and Recognition, ICPR’16, Cancun, Mexico, arXiv.org>cs>arXiv:1604.07953, 2016.
- Aniol Lidon, Marc Bolaños, Mariella Dimiccoli, Petia Radeva, Maite Garolera, Xavier Giró-i-Nieto, Semantic Summarization of Egocentric Photo Stream Events, arXiv:1511.00438, LTA’2017, ACM Multmedia.
- Maedeh Aghaei, Mariella Dimiccoli, Petia Radeva, Multi-Face Tracking by Extended Bag-of-Tracklets in Egocentric Videos, Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Volume 149, Pages 146-156, August 2016, arXiv:1507.04576.
- Marc Bolaños, Ricard Mestre, Estefanía Talavera, Xavier Giró i Nieto, Petia Radeva: Visual summary of egocentric photostreams by representative keyframes. ICME Workshops 2015: 1-6, arXiv.org>cs>arXiv:1505.01130, 2015.
- Marc Bolaños, Mariella Dimiccoli, Petia Radeva, “Towards Storytelling from Visual Lifelogging: An Overview”, arXiv:1507.06120, 2015, (under revision).
- Marc Bolaños, Petia Radeva: Ego-object discovery. CoRR abs/1504.01639, 2015.
- , IBPRIA’15, Santiago de Compostela, 2015.
Object Discovery using CNN Features in Egocentric Videos, IBPRIA’15, Santiago de Compostela, 2015.
- M. Bolaños, M. Garolera, P. Radeva, “Video segmentation of life-logging videos”, AMDO’2014, Springer-Verlag, 2014, p.1-9.
- M. Bolaños, P. Radeva, “Object Discovery for Egocentric Videos Based on Convolutional Neural Network Features”, Workshop on Storytelling, ECCV, 2014, (extended version submitted to a journal).
- M. Aghaei, P. Radeva, “Bag-of-Tracklets for Person Tracking in Life-LoggingData”, CCIA’2014, Proceedings of Catalonian Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Barcelona, Spain, 22 of October, 2014.
Marc Bolaños, Maite Garolera, Petia Radeva, “Active Labeling Application Applied to Food-Related Object Recognition”, 5th Workshop on Multimedia for Cooking and Eating Activities: CEA2013, ACM International Conference on Multimedia 2013, Barcelona October, 2013.
- Invited plenary talk on “Applying Deep Learning for Food Recognition”, ITNT, Samara, Russia, 28 of May 2020.
- Invited talk on “Uncertainty modeling for food analysis within end-to-end framework” the Summer school AI-DLDA, 29 of June, 2020, Udine, Italy.
- Invited plenary talk on “Uncertainty Modeling within an End-to-end Framework for Food Image Analysis”, DeLTA, Paris, France, 8 of July 2020.
- Invited plenary talk on “Uncertainty modeling within an End-to-end framework for Food Image Analysis” at Biostec, 13 of March, 2020, Valetta, Malta.
- Invited talk on “Uncertainty modeling within an End-to-end framework for Food Image Analysis” at the University of Groningen, The Netherlands, 13 of Februrary, 2020.
- Invited plenary talk on “Uncertainty Modeling for Improving Food Recognition” at ICMV’2019, 16 of November, 2019, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Invited talk “Uncertainty-Aware Food Recognition by Deep Learning” in the Data Council, Barcelona, Spain, 29 of September 2019.
- Invited inauguration talk on “Deep learning – science, technology or society solution?”, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain, 25 of September, 2019.
- Invited talk on “Uncertainty-aware Food image analysis” at the University Kliment Ohridski”, Sofia Bulgaria, 19 of August 2019.
- Invited talk at the Barcelona.ai on “Uncertainty-aware Food image analysis”, 20 of Juny, 2019, Barcelona, Spain.
- Invited talk on “Uncertainty-aware CNNs. Application to food image analysis” at the University of Otago, New Zealand, 17 of April, 2019.
- Invited plennary talk at the Artificial Intelligence International Conference A2IC’2018, Barcelona, Spain, 22.11.2018.
- Open lecture on “Uncertainty-aware CNNs. Application to food image analysis” as a conclusion of the second edition of the Deep Learning for Artificial Intelligence course of Master MET, UPC, 17.12.2018.
- Invited talk on “Deep Learning and Computer Vision” at the Aula Magna, Lima, Peru, 5.11.18.
- Invited talk on “Uncertainty-aware food analysis by Deep learning” at the International Confrence on Machine Vision, ICMV’2018, Munich, Germany, 2.10.2018.
- Invited course on “Advanced Computer Vision and Applications” given together with Dr. Jose Massa from INTIA, UNICEN, in CACIC’18, Tandil Argentina, 6-12 of October, 2018.
- Giving lecture on “Deep Learning aplicado al campo biomédico” in SEMINARIOS ABIERTOS DENTRO DEL CURSO DE EXPERTO UNIVERSITARIO DE LA UNIVERSIDAD DE BARCELONA: DATA SCIENCE (CIENCIA DE LOS DATOS): APLICACIONES A LA BIOLOGÍA Y A LA MEDICINA CON PYTHON Y R, 12 of July, 2018, Barcelona.
- Tutorial on “Deep learning and applications to activity recognition in egocentric photostreams“, 9.01.2018, Gran Canarias, Spain.
- Invited talk on “Visual Lifelogging: from egocentric images to neurorehabilitation” 26 of November, 2015, Master Lecture Announcement – EUSES Physiotherapy.
- Invited speaker at the ICMV’2015 Conference on: Deep learning and Lifelogging, 20 of November, 2015.
- Invited speaker at the DIPP’2015 Conference: Digital Presentation and Preservation of Cultural and Scientific Heritage, talk on “Visual Lifelogging in the Era of Outstanding Digitization“, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, 28 of September, 2015.
- Master thesis of Aniol Lidon on “Semantic and Diverse Summarization of Egocentric Photo Events“, 18 of September, 2015, Barcelona, Spain.
- Talk at CAIP 2015:
- Presentation at Bulgarian Academy of Science (BAN), “Object Discovery using CNN Features in Egocentric Videos”, Erasmus, August, 2015.
- Talk on Visual Lifelogging: using non‐medical images for medical purposes at the Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain, 29 of Juliol, 2015.
- Talk at CVPR’2015, Workshop on Medical imaging meets Computer Vision at the era of Big Data, Deep Learning and Novel Representations.
- Talk “Life-logging and egocentric vision” at IMEC, Holst Center, Eindhoven, 2015, The Netherlands.
“Visual Lifelogging: using non-medical images for medical purposes” during the
PC meeting of MICCAI’2015, in Munich, May, 2015.
- Talk at the University of Groningen2014 during my visit to the University of Groningen, The Netherlands, 24th of November, 2014.
- Keynote speaker on “Talk Petia Radeva icmv2014“, of the 7th International Conference on Machine Vision, Milan, Italy, November 19-21, 2014.
- Invited tutorial at the AMDO’2014 conference. Talk: “Lifelogging: what’s it about?“, 18 of July, 2014, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 1.5 hours.
- Invited talk organized within the European project “Advanced Computing for Innovation (Acommin). Topic: ”Video segmentation: applications to medical imaging and life-logging data”, January 14th 2014, Institute of information and communication technologies, bulgarian academy of sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria, 3 hours.
- Invited talk organized within the European project “Advanced Computing for Innovation (Acommin). Topic: ”Advanced course on Computer Vision”, 24 to 26 July 2013, Institute of information and communication technologies, bulgarian academy of sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria, 14 hours.
PhD and Master students:
- Marc Bolaños (PhD Fellow, UB).
- Alejandro Cartas, (PhD Fellow, Mexican Council of Science and Technology (CONACYT) grant-no. 366596).
- Eduardo Aguilar, (PhD Fellow, CONICYT Becas Chile).
- Marga Torre, co-supervised with Dr. Fernando Hernandez (UPC) and Fernando Vilariño (UAB).
- Martin Menchon, INTIA, UNICEN, Argentina co-supervised with Dr. Jose Massa.
- Bhalaji Nagarajan.
- Rupali Khatun.
- Giuseppe Pezzano, co-supervised with Dr. Vicent Ribas.
- Federico Gonzalez, University of Ushuaya, Argentina.
- Simone Balocco, Associate professor, UB.
- Oliver Diaz, Lecturer, UB.
- Santiago Egea, Postdoc, UB.
- Jose Massa & Jose Moreno, Universidad Nacional del Centro de la Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Maite Garolera, Head of Neuropsychology Unit at Consorci Sanitari de Terrassa.
- Russell Butson, University of Otago, Otago, New Zealand.
- Domenec Puig, Associate professor, Universitat Rovira i Virgili (URV).
- Xavier Giro-i-Nieto, Associate professor, UPC.
Supervised PhD thesis:
20. Alejandro Cartas, 2020, Universitat de Barcelona, co-supervised with Mariella Dimiccoli (UPC).
19. Margarida Torre, 2020, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, co-supervised with Fernando Martinez (UPC).
15. Felip Miralles, 2016, UB
14. Michal Drozdzal, 2014, UB
13. Marina Alberti, 2013, UB, co-supervised with Dr. Simone Balocco.
12. Francesco Ciompi, 2012, UB, co-supervised with Dr. Oriol Pujol.
11. Pierluigi Casale, 2011, UB, co-supervised with Dr. Oriol Pujol.
10. Sergio Escalera, 2009, UAB, co-supervised with Dr. Oriol Pujol.
9. David Rotger, 2008, UAB.
8. Fernando Vilariño, 2006, UAB.
7. Jaume Amores, 2006, UAB.
5. Misael Rosales, 2005, UAB
4. Debora Gil, 2004, UAB
3. Oriol Pujol, 2004, UAB
2. Cristina Cañero, 2003, UAB
1. Ricardo Toledo, 2002, UAB, co-supervised with Prof. Juanjo Villanueva.
Supervised Master thesis:
- Chenxi Liu, 2020, co-supervised with Federico Gonzalez.
- Petar Tonchev, 2020, co-supervised with Javier Rodenas.
- Maria Madalenova, 2020, co-supervised with Javier Rodenas.
- Jordi Ventura, 2020, co-supervised with Javier Rodenas.
- Xavier Lopez, 2020, co-supervised with Javier Rodenas.
- Marc Asenjo, 2020, co-supervised with Eduardo Aguilar.
- Magi Toneu, 2020.
- Gerard Marrufat, 2019, co-supervised with Eduardo Aguilar.
- Carolin, Wuerich, 2019, co-supervised with Estefania Talavera.
- Santos Bringas, 2019.
- Emanuel Sanchez, 2018, co-supervised with Mariella Dimiccoli.
- Montserrat Brufau, 2018.
- Alex Ferrer, 2018.
- Markos Gavalas, 2018.
- Maria Leyva, 2017.
- Pedro Herruzo, 2017.
- Laura Portell, 2017.
- Alberto Soto, 2017.
- Emanuela Mollova, 2017.
- Chen Zang, BioHealth Master, co-supervised with Laura Igual (UB).
- Marc Bolaños, UB, 2014.
- Maedeh Aghaei, UB, 2013, etc.
Currently, I’m teaching:
Computer Vision, a course for 3rd year students of Computer Science undergraduate study at the University of Barcelona.
Artificial Vision, a Master course for students of graduate study on Artificial Intelligence, UPC-UB-URV.
Advanced Medical Imaging, a Master course for students of graduate study on Biomedical Engineering.
Graduate course on Data science, UB.
Chair of Visapp, 2020, Malta.
Program committee of MICCAI’2015, CAIP’2015, CCIA’2015, etc.
Local area chair at CVPR’2014.
Local area chair of ICPR’2014.
Special sessions chairwomen of ICME’2014.
Chairwomen of Computing and Visualization for Intravascular Imaging and Computer Assisted Stenting (CVII-STENT), Workshop at MICCAI’2014.
Program committee member of: CBMS 2019, APPIS 2019, SITIS 2018, MMM 2019, CAIP2019, CAEPIA 2018, CCIA 2018, SITIS 2018, MADiMa2018, CompIMAGE’18, MLDM 2018, APPIS 2018, ISCSA2017, MMWorkshop17, SSPandBE 2017, NFQS3, CCIA 2017, CBMS2017, WBICV2017IBPRIA’17, WiML’2016, CIARP’2016, CCIA’2016, DATRA’2016, CompIMAGE’2016, LTA’2016, MLPRA’2016, CCIA’2015, CIAPR’2014, CIARP’2014, AMDO’2012, CAIP’2013, CCIA’2014, CIARP’2012, CIARP’2014, CAIP’2015, CAIP’2013, JCC’2013, JCC’2014, MCPR’2013, MICCAI-STENT’2013, MICCAI-STENT’2012.
Petia Radeva has been the honorable chair of ICMV 2018, ICMV 2017, ICMV 2016, ICMV 2015, ICMV 2014, and invited speaker at AMDO’2014, CAIP’2015, CEIG’2003, etc.
Petia Radeva: «La transferència de coneixement és un motor de motivació per als investigadors», interview from the Fundació “Bosch i Gimpera”, May, 2016, Barcelona.
“El CST rep una beca per la investigació en malalties neurodegeneratives“, terassadigital.cot, 31 d’Octubre, 2014.
“Convertir las 8 horas de película de la endoscopia sin cable en un ‘corto’”, El Mundo, April, 9th, 2014.
“Algoritmos de visión artificial para la salud coronaria“, 08/01/2014, ingenieros.es, Portal de ingenieros superiores.
“UB premia estudis de neurolingüística i de nanotecnologia per vèncer càncer“, La Vanguardia, Desember 12, 2013.
“La UB reclama més inversió pública per transferir el coneixement de les universitats“, EuropaPress, Desember 12, 2013.