Who we are
IREA is a Research Institute of the University of Barcelona. Since 2005, the Institute brings together a large number of researchers from three applied economics research groups: Regional Quantitative Analysis (AQR), Risk in Finance and Insurance (Riskcenter), and the Research Group in Governments and Markets (GiM). All these three groups are consolidated by the Generalitat de Catalunya.
IREA addresses research topics basically in the field of applied economics. The strategic objectives include:
- To develop the internal potential of IREA members, in order to produce high quality joint research.
- To become a host nest and reference for other researchers and institutions in Catalan, Spanish and international institutions, who are interested in related research areas.
- To train new doctors, and to help them evolve in their academic and professional achievements in order to qualify for the best international positions.
- To carry out research of international quality and scientific rigor, materialized in the elaboration of publications in highly ranked international journals. Participation in competitive public projects is directly related to this goal.
- To conduct directly applicable research to solve specific problems of public and private interest, by signing collaboration agreements.