2010: Ph.D. in Cell Biology, University of Coimbra, Portugal
2009: Frontiers in Reproduction Course - Molecular abd Cellular Concepts and Applications, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, USA
2003: First year of the Master's Degree in Cell Biology, University of Coimbra
2002: B.Sc. in Biology, University of Coimbra
GRANTS AND AWADS
Postdoctoral grant (2009 - To Date), by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT; SFRHD/BPD/63120/2009)
Ph.D. grant (2003 - 2007), by FCT (SFRH/BD/12665/2003)
Research technician grant (2002 - 2003), by FCT (BTI-06-02)
Young Researcher Prize (2011), by the British Andrology Society (BAS), at the 33rd BAS Annual Meeting
First prize for selected oral communication (2008), by Tambre Foundation, at the International Symposium on Assisted Reproduction
Best selected oral presentation (2006), by the European Academy of Andrology (EAA), at the 4th European Congress of Andrology
6th European Congress of Andrology (2010), by EAA and the International Network for Young Researcher in Male Fertility (INYRMF)
MBL Frontiers in Reproduction Course (2009), by Burroughs Welcome Fund
Frontiers in Reproduction 12th Annual Symposium (2009), by Luso-American foundation (FLAD)
Lalour Foundation International Travel Award (2008), by the American Society of Andrology (ASA) and the ASA International Liasion Commitee
ASA 3rd Annual Meeting (2008), by FLAD
International Network for Young Researchers in Male Fertility (INYRMF)
President (from May 2013)
Board member (from 2010)
American Society of Andrology (ASA)
Member of the Trainee Affairs Commitee (from January 2013)
Member (from 2008)
17. A Amaral, J Castillo, J Ramalho-Santos and R Oliva (2013) The compiled human sperm proteome: cellular pathways and implications for basic and clinical science.Human Reproduction Update, in press.
16. A Amaral, B Lourenço, M Marques and J Ramalho-Santos (2013) Mitochondria functionality and sperm quality. Reproduction, in press.
15. A Amaral, J Castillo, JM Estanyol, JL Ballescà, J Ramalho-Santos and R Oliva (2013) Human sperm tail proteome suggests new endogenous metabolic pathways. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, 12 (2): 330-342.
14. A Amaral, J Ramalho-Santos (2013) The Male Gamete Is Not a Somatic Cell- the Possible Meaning of Varying Sperm RNA Levels. Antioxidants & Redox Signalling, 18 (2): 179-180.
13. S Amaral, A Amaral, J Ramalho-Santos (2013). Aging and male reproductive function: a mitochondrial prespective. Frontiers in Bioscience (Schoolar edition), 5: 181-197.
12. A Amaral, A Wahlgren, F Tüttelmann, K De Gendt, M Blomberg Jensen, M Nurmio, M Welsh, JB, Stukenborg (2012) Minutes of the 5th meeting of the international network for young researchers in male fertility. Asian Journal of Andrology, 14(5): 796.
11. F Tüttelmann, K De Gendt, A Amaral, C Giachini, M Welsh, M Blomberg Jensen, M Nurmio, A Wahlgren, JB Stukenborg (2012) The future of testis research is turning 6! Six years of International Network for Young Researchers in Male Fertility. International Journal of Andrology, 35 (2): 211-213.
10. A Amaral, C Paiva, M Baptista, AP Sousa and J Ramalho-Santos (2011) Exogenous glucose improves long-standing human sperm motility, viability and mitochondrial function. Fertility and Sterility, 96 (4): 848-850.
9. A Sousa, A Amaral, M Baptista, R Tavares, PC Campo,PC Peregrín,A Freitas, A Paiva, T Almeida-Santos and J Ramalho-Santos (2011)Not all sperm are equal: functional mitochondria characterize a subpopulation of human sperm with better fertilization potential. PLoS One, 23 6(3): e18112.
8. A Amaral, AP Sousa, PC Campo, PC Peregrín and J Ramalho-Santos (2011) Bioenergetics and male infertility: from basic science to clinical andrology. In Bioenergetics (JW Berkin, Ed), Nova Publishers, 165-181.
7. A Amaral and J Ramalho-Santos (2010) Assessment of mitochondrial potential: implications for the correct monitoring of human sperm function. International Journal of Andrology, 33: e-180-e186.
6. J Ramalho-Santos, S Varum, S Amaral, PC Mota, AP Sousa and A Amaral (2009) Mitochondrial function and reproduction: from gonads and gametes to embryos and embryonic stem cells. Human Reproduction update, 15 (5): 553-572.
5. A Amaral, J Ramalho-Santos and JC St John (2007) The expression of polymerase gamma and mitochondrial transcription factor A and the regulation of mitochondrial DNA content in mature human sperm. Human Reproduction, 22 (6): 1585-1596.
4. J Ramalho-Santos, A Amaral, AP Sousa, AS Rodrigues, L Martins, M Baptista, PC Mota, R Tavares, S Amaral and S Gamboa (2007) Probing the structure and function of mammalian sperm using optical and fluorescence microscopy. Modern Research and Educational Topics in Microscopy, 1: 394-402.
3. JC St John, EJ Bowles and A Amaral (2006) Sperm mitochondria and fertilisation. Society of Reproduction and Fertility Supplement, 65: 399-416.
2. JC St John, A Amaral, E Bowles, J Facucho, R Lloyd, M Freitas, HL Gray, CS Navara, G Oliveira, GP Schatten, E Spikingsand J Ramalho-Santos (2006) The analysis of mitochondria and mitochondrial DNA in human embryonic stem cells. Methods in Molecular Biology, 331: 347-374.
1. J Ramalho-Santos, A Amaral, R Brito, M Freitas and T Almeida-Santos (2004) Simultaneous analysis of cytoskeletal patterns and chromosome positioning in human fertilization failures. Fertility and Sterility, 82 (6): 1654-1659.
1: Amaral A, Castillo J, Estanyol JM, Ballesca JL, Ramalho-Santos J, Oliva R.
Human sperm tail proteome suggests new endogenous metabolic pathways.
Mol Cell Proteomics. 2012 Nov 15. [Epub ahead of print]Human sperm tail proteome suggests new endogenous metabolic pathways.Amaral A, Castillo J, Estanyol JM, Ballesca JL, Ramalho-Santos J, Oliva R