Philosophy has been taught for many years at the University of Barcelona.
The Faculty of Philosophy of the University of Barcelona was founded in 1987. It is the result of gradual separation of the various branches of the former Faculty of Philosophy and Arts in the Historic Building.
- 1837. Return of the University of Barcelona. The University had been closed with all the studies concentrated in the University of Cervera in 1717.
- 1912. Creation of the Philosophy Section at the University of Barcelona
- 1973. Separation of the former Faculty of Philosophy and Arts. The bachelor's degree in Philosophy forms part of the qualification of Philosophy and Education Sciences.
- 1976. Location of the Faculty on the South Campus of Avinguda Diagonal.
- 1987. Creation of the Faculty of Philosophy. Student Guide for the Philosophy course
- 2006. Faculty moved to the Raval building on the Humanities Campus.
- 2010. Introduction of the new degree in Philosophy, according to the Bologna plan.
- 2012. Introduction of university master's degrees in Citizenship and Human Rights: Ethics and Politics and Analytical Philosophy
- 2013. Introduction of university master’s degrees in Pure and Applied Logic, Contemporary Thought and Classical Tradition, and Cognitive Science and Language.
- 2016. Reorganisation of the Faculty with the merger into one Department of Philosophy of the departments of Theoretical and Practical Philosophy; History of Philosophy, Aesthetics and Cultural Philosophy; and Logic, History and the Philosophy of Science.