During the months of May and July, we published a new series of Eco-tips on our Twitter account on how we can prevent food waste and reduce our ecological footprint when we eat. We present them compiled here:
How can we prevent food waste and reduce our ecological footprint when we eat?
- To avoid food waste, don’t forget your shopping list! Good planning is the best solution.
- We do not need single-use plastic bags. Reusable bags are a more sustainable option.
- Greener diet. The consumption of foods of vegetable origin has less environmental impact.
- Closer is better! Local and seasonal products are more environmentally friendly.
- When you cook, instead of buying processed and packaged food, you will eat healthier and generate less waste.
- Whole fruit is kept in good condition longer, and we avoid using unnecessary single-use packaging.
- Zero waste? You can get it by buying products in bulk and using your own glass containers.
- There is nothing like glass! It can be reused, recycled and is much more sustainable than cans, plastic and Tetra Brik.
- There is no need to stockpile and have a full pantry! You will have enough if you buy the amount of food you will actually eat.
- The foods that spoil fastest will be the first to be eaten. If you have the pantry and the fridge well-ordered it will make your work easier.
- Do you know how to keep food in good condition in the fridge for longer? Dairy products and sausages are best kept on the top shelf of the fridge. Meat and fish, on the lower level.
- Tomatoes, lettuces… A home garden? It will help you relax and eat healthier
- Do you have any food leftovers? Well, don’t throw them away! It’s a good time to be imaginative and experiment with recipes for reuse.
- Have you tried making your jams and preserves? This way you will get the most out of your food and it will not be wasted.
- In the kitchen, you save energy too. Put the lid on the pot, and turn off the heat a few minutes before to let the food rest. Very easy and cheap!
- If the oven is already hot, you can use it to make more than one meal. You will spend less energy and be more efficient.
- A good coffee with the old coffee maker to reduce the amount of waste, instead of single-use coffee capsules.