Meet the MSc in Economics fresher class of 2017/18
The Universitat de Barcelona School of Economics has welcomed 28 new MSc in Economics students to the academic year 2017/18. Freshers are 24 years old on average and come from all over the world. This year we will find a large proportion of European students, making up 47% of all newcomers (10.71% from Spain and 35.71% from the rest of Europe). Students from the Americas account for 21%, followed by Asia and Middle East/Africa, with 18% and 14%.
The majority of new masters’ students has a background in Economics. As many as 72% have a bachelor degree in this discipline; 14% received their undergraduate degree in Business; and 14% in Engineering, Mathematics or Physics.
On September 22nd we welcomed all new students. The event was hosted by Joan Calzada, Director of the MSc Programme, Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, PhD in Economics Director, and Raquel Villero, Director of the Careers Service Office at the Faculty of Economics and Business. During the session, students received guidance about the programme and all the university resources and services available for them.
During their 1st and 2nd terms, students will acquire a solid foundation in Economics and quantitative techniques through courses such as Mathematical Economics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and Econometrics. In the 3rd, 4th and 5th terms, they will specialise in areas of interest for their future profession or research, such as Public Economics, Regional and Urban Economics, Growth and Trade, Government and Markets and Games, Behaviour and Incentives. Finally, in the 6th term, students will write the Master thesis in a subject of interest to them.
MSc students will have the opportunity to attend weekly seminars, workshops, courses, conferences and research activities. On successfully completing the programme, they can expect to find employment in a broad range of sectors, including higher education and economic consulting. An Academic Career Information Session and the Career Month are organised each year to provide further guidance. Career guidance sessions are coordinated with the Career Services Office.
The Universitat de Barcelona School of Economics wishes all MSc in Economics students a successful term. And for all those students that would like to apply for 2018-2019, please know that applications will be open form November 1st 2017 to June 15th 2018.
- Four TA scholarships awarded to MSc and PhD students in Economics for their outstanding records
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN Actions proposal-writing workshop at the Faculty of Economics and Business
- Chair of Energy Sustainability to conduct research on energy efficiency in collaboration with Catalan Energy Institute
- Newly created research institute BEAT to hold launch event on October 25th
- PhD student Mariona Mas awarded funding for doctoral research on behavioural responses to wealth taxation
- UB School of Economics to host workshop on historical political economy and gender politics
- Meet the MSc in Economics fresher class of 2017/18
- Faculty of Economics and Business announces five new Job Market hires
- UB School of Economics researcher Amedeo Piolatto awarded a Ramon y Cajal postdoctoral senior grant