Meet the MSc in Economics fresher class of 2017/18
The Universitat de Barcelona School of Economics has welcomed 28 new MSc in Economics students to the academic year 2017/18. Freshers are 24 years old on average and come from all over the world. This year we will find a large proportion of European students, making up 47% of all newcomers (10.71% from Spain and 35.71% from the rest of Europe). Students from the Americas account for 21%, followed by Asia and Middle East/Africa, with 18% and 14%.
The majority of new masters’ students has a background in Economics. As many as 72% have a bachelor degree in this discipline; 14% received their undergraduate degree in Business; and 14% in Engineering, Mathematics or Physics.
On September 22nd we welcomed all new students. The event was hosted by Joan Calzada, Director of the MSc Programme, Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, PhD in Economics Director, and Raquel Villero, Director of the Careers Service Office at the Faculty of Economics and Business. During the session, students received guidance about the programme and all the university resources and services available for them.
During their 1st and 2nd terms, students will acquire a solid foundation in Economics and quantitative techniques through courses such as Mathematical Economics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and Econometrics. In the 3rd, 4th and 5th terms, they will specialise in areas of interest for their future profession or research, such as Public Economics, Regional and Urban Economics, Growth and Trade, Government and Markets and Games, Behaviour and Incentives. Finally, in the 6th term, students will write the Master thesis in a subject of interest to them.
MSc students will have the opportunity to attend weekly seminars, workshops, courses, conferences and research activities. On successfully completing the programme, they can expect to find employment in a broad range of sectors, including higher education and economic consulting. An Academic Career Information Session and the Career Month are organised each year to provide further guidance. Career guidance sessions are coordinated with the Career Services Office.
The Universitat de Barcelona School of Economics wishes all MSc in Economics students a successful term. And for all those students that would like to apply for 2018-2019, please know that applications will be open form November 1st 2017 to June 15th 2018.
- Big Data for Economics to be addressed by Prof. Arthur Charpentier at 2018 Summer School
- Submit your application for postgraduate study at the UB School of Economics
- UB School of Economics researchers confirm large inequalities in carbon mobility emissions in Barcelona
- 4th Geography of Innovation Conference to gather over 300 participants in Barcelona
- UB School of Economics highlights of 2017: Recap of a great year!
- IEB invites the submission of papers for presentation at the 5th Workshop on Urban Economics
- Applications open for Post-Doctoral positions in Economics
- University of Paris-Saclay, University of Amsterdam and Catholic University of Milan announced as new Erasmus+ destinations for 2018/19
- MSc in Economics graduates of 2017 go on to do a PhD or take up positions in internationally renowned firms