The MSc in International Business offers students advanced knowledge of basic aspects on how to manage an international company in the fields of accounting, marketing, operations, human resources and strategic management.
The MSc in International Business is an official one-year programme taught in English. Its aim is to train specialists in global business management and covers the fields of finance and accounting, marketing, operations, human resources and strategic management.
Globalization of the economy is a tangible reality nowadays. Hence the need for companies to develop a strategy for internationalization in order to safeguard their competitiveness in global environments. In this sense the MSc in International Business arises from the need to train future managers in worldwide companies operating at an international level.
This programme contributes in a decisive way to a wider specialization for graduates in International Business, Management and Business Administration, and such like, who have acquired a more generalized training during their studies. The skills that students develop with this Master’s Degree are substantially those of an advanced post-graduate level. This training is complemented by applying these skills to the analysis and resolution of practical cases which might arise during their professional activity. The studies focus on a participatory methodology which addresses different situations that are at all times applicable to the reality of the company.
Once the programme is achieved the student will reach an academic level that will allow him or her a solid placement in their specific fields as general manager, marketing manager, operations manager, human resources manager or managing director in an international corporation.
The programme offers the chance to do an Erasmus+ Exchange during the second semester. Current opportunities include 3 Erasmus agreements at world-class universities:
- – Copenhagen Business School
- – University of Amsterdam
- – Goethe University Frankfurt
- – Kyoto University
*International applicants interested in an Erasmus Exchange must apply before May 15th and provide all the required documentation before July 10th in order to formalize the enrolment during July.
The MSc in International Business is aimed at students interested professionally in the practical fields of an international company.
Candidates wishing to apply to this programme must meet the following requirements:
- An official degree in Business Management or related field (International Business, Business Administration and Management, Economics, Law and International Relations, as well as engineers). Students who have followed other official courses and have a wide working experience in business management will also be considered.)
- Proof of proficiency in English. Candidates will have to prove at least a B2 Level or equivalent*. Applicants are exempt from documenting English certificate if they are native speakers or hold a university degree taught in an English speaking country.
*Recommended English Certificates:
First Certificate in English (FCE)
TOEFL iBT 72-94 (Code C086)
The selection process is based on the following selection criteria:
1) A previous qualification in a field related to the master’s degree (50%). Holders of bachelor’s degrees in International Business, Business Administration and Management, related disciplines, and degrees with an international orientation shall be given priority.
2) Academic background of previous studies (40%). Previous training in business and international business will be reviewed. Candidates should demonstrate that they have a sufficient level of training to meet the requirements of the master’s degree subjects.
3) Professional experience in the area of international business management (5%). Credit is given for professional experience in fields related to the course subjects.
4) Letters of recommendation (5%) from former lecturers or people who have had a professional or academic relationship with the candidate.
The MSc in International Business offers students advanced knowledge of basic aspects on how to manage an international company.
The programme consists of 60 credits given throughout two semesters (an academic term), namely: 32.5 credits in compulsory subjects, 17.5 optional credits and 10 End-of-Term project credits. All compulsory-subject credits are given taking into account their core curriculum during the first semester. The optional courses are focused on specialization according to student’s own interests, and take place during the second semester, including the Master’s End-of-Term project.
Core Subjects (30 credits)
– International Strategy
– Global Supply Chain Management
– Multinational Accounting
– Multinational Financial Management
– Global Marketing
– International Human Resource Management
– Legal Aspects of Global Business
– Research Methods for International Business (2.5 credits)
Elective Subjects (17.5 credits)
Master Thesis (10 credits)
Academic year 2018-2019
The first cohort of MSc in International Business (MIB) students is a diverse group of 26 highly capable graduates from all corners of the world. Around 90% of our students are from abroad, with 17 nationalities represented. The large majority of students come from Europe (65%), followed by the Americas (27%) and Asia (8%).
Students on the MIB typically have an undergraduate degree in Business Management or International Business from universities such as the University of Vienna, University of Basel, University of St. Gallen, Pontificia Universidad Católica Argentina and Bocconi University, among many other universities.
As many as 85.5% of the class already have previous employment experience in an international business environment. With such educational and professional backgrounds, the MIB students and lecturers will benefit from an intellectually stimulating environment.
Overall, the gender breakdown within the MIB class of 2019 is 54% male students and 46% female, close to reaching gender balance. The average age of the students is 25 years old. The age group profile of applicants is slightly in favour of the ‘under 22’ group, which accounts for 38% of all students, followed by students under 25 (35%) and students above 26 (27%).
Students who complete this Master’s degree can find employment in a wide array of positions within the business sector.
The most usual jobs for students who complete the degree are posts of management, as well as specialized tasks in multinational companies, such as human resources, finances, foreign trade or international marketing.
Furthermore, the MSc in International Business trains students to find employment in public organizations and NGOs dealing with international cooperation.
Student’s fees for university master’s degrees are decreed on an annual basis by the Catalan government and Universitat de Barcelona. Please find below the public fees that correspond to the academic year 2018-2019:
- – 3.600 euros (60 credits | 60 euros/credit) for students who currently reside in Spain or are EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, China or Andorra nationals.
- – 5.700 euros (60 credits | 95 euros/credit) for students who do not currently reside in Spain and are not EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, China or Andorra nationals.
You can find information about available scholarships at the Universitat de Barcelona’s website.
APPLICATION PERIOD CLOSED. Admission calendar for academic year 2020-2021 will be published soon.
In order to present your application you will have to follow these steps:
Check that you meet the entry requirements for the MSc in International Business.
Complete the specific application form, which will allow the academic committee to evaluate your candidacy.
(!) Only complete applications will be considered.
Academic Committee Resolutions
1st period | Application received from January 28th 2019 to March 15th 2019. Resolutions by March 31st 2019
2nd period | Application received from March 16th 2019 to May 15th 2019. Resolutions by May 31st 2019.
3rd period | Application received from May 16th 2019 to June 20th 2019. Resolutions by June 30th 2019.
If there are available spots, there will be an extraordinary 4th round in September.
*International candidates interested in an Erasmus Exchange during the 2nd semester, they should apply before May 15th and provide all the required documentation before July 10th and formalize the enrolment during July.
Pay the application fee for taught master’s degrees. Please note that you will have to indicate the degree you are applying for. Choose the option “Empresa Internacional / International Business”. After completing the form you will have to pay the €30’21 application fee.
Make sure you attach the required documents on the form:
– Bachelor Degree (if you have it)
– Transcript of Records (final or provisional version)
– ID / Passport
In case of being admitted, you must provide the required documents in order to get the final approval and formalize the enrolment. More information will be provided to admitted students.