Dra. Rocio Da Riva MuñozFull Professor of Prehistory (Protohistory of the Ancient Near East). ICREA Academia Research Awardee.
• Research visibility: Academia.edu: http://ub.academia.edu/wwwubedu (Rocío Da Riva); Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rocio_Da_Riva; Researcher ID (Web of science): H-2609-2014 (Publons); ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7861-6196
• Member of the Archaeology Research Group (GRACPE 2017 SGR 1774).
• My research lines include Prehistory and Protohistory of the Ancient Near East; Archaeology of the Iron Age in Jordan and Lebanon; Archaeology and History of Mesopotamia; Political history of Babylonia in the First Millennium BCE; Neo-Babylonian royal inscriptions; Historiography of Mesopotamian Archaeology; Historiography of Archaeology during First World War in Arabia and NE Africa.
• I studied in Madrid (Spain), Ghent (Belgium) and Erlangen (Germany), with scholarships of the Erasmus-ECTS Programme and Doctoral Fellowship Erasmus-PIC Programme. I also received a Doctoral Fellowship of the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) to study at the University of Würzburg in Germany, where I obtained my PhD in Ancient Near Eastern Studies (Assyriology) in 2002.
• Language proficiency: English, German, Italian, French and Dutch; I also have knowledge of several ancient languages, including Latin, Akkadian and Sumerian.
• I have been Assistant Professor in Ancient Near Eastern Studies at the University Julius-Maximilians of Würzburg, Germany (2000); Ramón y Cajal Researcher at (2003-2007) and Associate Tenured Professor of Prehistory at the University of Barcelona (2007-2019).
• I have received several awards and research grants, including the ICREA Academia Research Award on two occasions: 2008 and 2014; and I have been PI of several highly competitive research projects since 2003. I have also directed archaeological studies at several Iron Age sites in Lebanon and Jordan, in cooperation with the General Directorate of Antiquities of Lebanon and with the Department of Antiquities of Jordan receiving research grants and projects. I am currently director of the Sela Archaeological project (Sela, Jordan)
• I have conducted research activities since 1998 at the British Museum (London); Vorderasiatisches Museum (Berlin); Musée du Louvre (Paris); Yale Babylonian Collection (New Haven); Istanbul Archaeological Museum (Istanbul), among others.
• I have been Visiting Researcher, with José Castillejo and Salvador Madariaga Mobility Research Grants from the Spanish Ministry of Education at the University of Vienna and at the University of Würzburg. Since 2015 I am visiting professor at the Venice International University (Venice, Italy). Since 2017 I have had Erasmus+ Mobility Grants to teach at the Yarmouk University-Irbid (Jordan) and at the Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen (Germany).
• Publications in journals classified as "A" by the European Science Foundation (ERIH), at AHCI, in CIRC, subjected to scientific impact evaluation criteria (Alter Orient und Altes Testament, Walter De Gruyter, etc.) or in JSTOR (Journal Storage, New York). My books and chapters of books are edited in publishing houses listed in Scholarly Publishers Indicators (Humanities and Social Sciences) with high ICEE Indicator of Quality of Publishers according to Experts.
• Co-editor and contributor in major projects of international edition: Handbook of Mesopotamian History and Studies in Ancient Near Eastern Records, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin and Boston.
• Researcher with numerous visits and research activities in universities and institutions in Europe, North America and the Middle East: British Museum (London, UK); Ashmolean Museum (Oxford, UK); National Archives (Kew, UK); Institut für Orientalistik. University of Vienna (Vienna, Austria); Institut voor Talen en Culturen van het Nabije Oosten en Noord-Afrika. University of Gent (Belgium); Institut für Außereuropäische Sprachen und Kulturen. Friedrich-Alexander Universität (Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany); Vorderasiatisches Museum and Altorientalisches Institut Freie Universität (Berlin, Germany); Frobenius Institut, Johan Von Goethe-Universität (Frankfurt aM, Germany); Ludwig-Maximilian Universität (Würzburg, Germany); Eberhard Karls Universität (Tübingen, Germany); School of Humanities. University of Western Australia (Nedlands, Australia); Ca Foscari University (Venice); University of Pennsylvania Museum (Philadelphia, USA); Oriental Institute, University of Chicago (United States); Department of Ancient Near Eastern Studies at the University of Toronto (Canada); Istanbul Archaeological Museum (Turkey); Museum of Beirut, Directorate General of Antiquities, American University of Beirut (Lebanon); National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, Armenian State University, and Yerevan State Pedagogical University after Khachatur Abovyan, Yerevan (Armenia); Chuo University, Tokyo (Japan); Yarmouk-University Irbid (Jordan) etc.
Monographs (single authored)
2002, Der Ebabbar-Tempel von Sippar in frühneubabylonischer Zeit (640-580 v.Chr.). Alter Orient und Altes Testament, 291. Münster, Ugarit Verlag.
2008, The Neo-Babylonian Royal Inscriptions: An Introduction. Guides for the Mesopotamian Textual Records (GMTR), 4. Münster, Ugarit Verlag.
2012, The Twin Inscriptions of Nebuchadnezzar at Brisa (Wadi esh-Sharbin, Lebanon): a Historical and Philological Study. Archiv für Orientforschung Bhft. 32. Horn, Berger & Söhne.
2013, The inscriptions of Nabopolassar, Amēl-Marduk and Neriglissar, Studies in Ancient Near Eastern Records, 3. Berlin-Boston, Walter De Gruyter. [Scholarly Publishers Indicators ICEE 95.25].
2017, Arqueólogos, etnólogos y espías: La misión de Leo Frobenius en Arabia y Eritrea (1914-1915). Bellaterra Arqueología. Barcelona, Bellaterra. [Scholarly Publishers Indicators ICEE (Spain) 39.96] ISBN: 978-84-7290-830-7.
2019 [forthcoming], El imperio neo-babilónico, Bellaterra Arqueología. Barcelona, Bellaterra. [Scholarly Publishers Indicators ICEE (Spain) 39.96]
2015 [with J. Vidal], Descubriendo el Antiguo Oriente: estudiosos de Mesopotamia y Egipto a finales del s. XIX y principios del s. XX. Bellaterra Arqueología. Barcelona, Bellaterra. [Scholarly Publishers Indicators ICEE (Spain) 39.96] ISBN: 978-84-7290-693-8
2019 [with S. Fink], Routes and Travellers between East and West: cultural exchange in the Ancient World, Barcelona Third Melammu Workshop (3MW), (22-23 March 2017). Münster: Zaphon Verlag.
Most relevant articles in peer and editor reviewed, international journals (last 3 years)
2016 [with Dario Biocca], “The secret mission of Leo Frobenius in Arabia and Eritrea (1914-1915)”. U. Freitag, Ph. Pétriat and M. Strohmeier (eds). Arabian Humanities n°6: Movements and flows in the Arabian Peninsula, the Red Sea and the Gulf region during WWI. URL : http://cy.revues.org/3099 ; DOI : 10.4000/cy.3099 [ICDS = 6.5]
2017, "Il re Nabopolassar, la storiografia classica e la leggenda della distruzione dell'Assiria", KASKAL - Rivista di storia, ambienti e culture del Vicino Oriente Antico, 13, 209-218.
2017, "The Figure of Nabopolassar in Late Achaemenid and Hellenistic Historiographic Tradition: BM 34793 and CUA 90," Journal of Near Eastern Studies 76/1: 75-92 [ERIH Archaeology and Linguistics: INT1; ICDS = 11.0]
2017, "A new attestation of Habigalbat in Late Babylonian sources," Welt des Orients, 47: 259-264 [ERIH PLUS INT 1; ICDS = 10.0]
2017, " Towards a long-term place biography of Nahr el-Kalb", Antiguo Oriente 15: 13-32. [ICDS = 9.7]
2018, "Addendum to Rocío Da Riva, A new attestation of Habigalbat in Late Babylonian sources, WdO 47/2 (2017) 259–264," Welt des Orients, 48: 96-98 [ERIH PLUS INT 1; ICDS = 10.0]
2018 [with G. Galetti], "Two Temple Rituals from Babylon", Journal of Cuneiform Studies 70: 189-227 [ICDS = 6.5]
2018, "Neo-Babylonian Rock-cut Monuments and Ritual Performance: The Rock Reliefs of Nebuchadnezzar II in Brisa revisited", in O. Lipschits and Y. Cohen (eds), Nebuchadnezzar - History, Archaeology and Memory, Hebrew Bible and Ancient Israel 7.1: 17-41 (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co). [ICDS = 8.5]
2018, "The Neo-Babylonian Palace as Centre of the World", ARAMAZD: Armenian Journal of Near Eastern Studies (AJNES) XII/1 2018: 96–108.
2019, "The angry Ištar of Eturkalamma: BM 32482+" Iraq 81. [ICDS = 6.5]Book Chapters (selection)
2009, “The Nebuchadnezzar Inscription in Nahr el-Kalb”, pp. 255-302, A. –M. Afeiche (ed.) Le Site du Nahr el-Kalb, Bulletin d'archéologie et d'architecture libanaises Hors Série 5. Beirut, Ministère de la Culture.
2010, “A lion in the cedar forest. International politics and pictorial self-representations of Nebuchadnezzar II (605-562 BC)”, pp. 165-193, J. Vidal (ed.): Studies on War in the Ancient Near East. Collected Essays on Military History. Alter Orient und Altes Testament (AOAT), 372. Münster, Ugarit Verlag.
2019, “Jealousy in Akkadian Love Literature: Zarpanītu in the Divine Love Lyrics ”, pp. xx-xx, S. Hsu and J. Llop Raudà (eds.), The Expression of Emotions in Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia. CHANE, Brill: Leiden.
More than 10 publications in congress proceedings and in collective works (peer-reviewed); 8 Articles in Festschriften (liber amicorum), peer-reviewed; more than 10 review articles in peer reviewed periodicals; Publications of science popularization; encyclopedia articles and translations
2014, “Nabuchodonosor au Liban: les inscriptions de Brisa dans leur contexte historique”, ArcheOrient-Le Blog. http://archeorient.hypotheses.org/2929
2015 [with A. Peck, Factum Arte]: “High-resolution Photogrammetry
Lebanon: Nahr El Kalb Project” http://www.factumfoundation.org/pag/232/
2019, “New Discoveries at Sela, the Mountain Stronghold of Edom”, The Ancient Near East Today http://www.asor.org/anetoday/2019/03/New-Discoveries-at-Sela
2019, “What sort of rituals really went on inside Late Babylonian temples?”, The Ancient Near East Today http://www.asor.org/anetoday
Organizer of 10 international conferences and workshops, participation in more than 30 international conferences and workshops. Participation in more than 50 invited lectures, seminars and guest seminars, and more than 10 public lectures (science popularization).
2000-2001: Department of Oriental Studies, University of Würzburg.
2003-2004: Department of Semitic Studies, University of Barcelona.
2004– : Department of History and Archaeology, University of Barcelona.
2015-2019: Venice International University and Ca Foscari University, Venice.
2017-2018: Yarmouk University-Irbid (Jordan).
2018-19: Master of Advanced Studies in Archaeology, Department of History and Archaeology of the University of Barcelona.
2019: Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen (Germany).
Commissions of Trust in the last 5 years
2014–: Faculty Member at the Venice International University and Ca Foscari University, Venice.
2016– : Member of the OIMEA Advisory Committee, Official Inscriptions of the Middle East in Antiquity (http://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/ribo/babylon7/abouttheproject/index.html )
2018-2022: Member of the advisory board Classica et Orientalia (Harrassowitz Verlag)
Peer-reviewer of several periodicals and publishing houses: Oxford University Press; Studi Epigrafici e Linguistici; Archiv für Orientforschung; Journal of Near Eastern Studies; China Publishing Group Corp. & World Publishing Guangdong Corporation; Horizon Research Publishing (http://www.hrpub.org); Journal of Archaeological Research; Antiguo Oriente; Akkadica; Aula Orientalis; Kaskal; etc.
Membership of Scientific Societies
1999– : Member of the Deutsche Orient Gesellschaft (DOG).
2001–: Member of the Alumni Association of the Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg: https://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/alumni/home/
2010– : Member of the Institute of Near Eastern and Caucasian Studies of the German University of Armenia.
2012– : Member of the International Association of Assyriology (IAA).
2015-: Member of the Water Research Institute, University of Barcelona.
2015-: Senior Board Member of the Melammu Project: http://www.aakkl.helsinki.fi/melammu/project/prboard.php
2018-: Member of the European Association for Archaeologists (EAA).
2019– : Member of the Deutscher Verband für Archäologie (DVA).
2019-: Member of the Executive Board, Water Research Institute, University of Barcelona.
2020-: Member of the American Schools of Oriental Research (ASOR).
2020-: Promoter of the Red Iberoamericana de Investigación sobre el Cercano Oriente Antiguo (RIICOA) of the Asociación Universitaria Iberoamericana de Postgrado (AUIP).
2020-: Member of ARWA Core Group International Association for Archaeological Research in Western & Central Asia.