Before arriving

Acommodation and living in Barcelona

In order to arrange accommodation for your stay in Barcelona, you can contact the Barcelona University Centre (BCU),which provides the information you need to know to live and to study in Barcelona: how to get to Barcelona, cost of living, climate, moving about the city or services for the university community.

Place: Barcelona University Centre
Torrent de l'Olla st., 219 - 08012 Barcelona
Phone: (34) 93 238 90 49 - Fax: (34) 93 228 92 59
Web: E-mail:
Opening hours: Mon-Thu -> 09:00 - 14:00 and 15:00 - 17:00 // Fri-> 08:00 - 15:00

If you choose to find a private flat, some websites may be useful for you such as:


Medical, accidents and repatriation Insurance

All international students must take out medical, accident and repatriation, insurance for their stay at the UB.

Medical coverage:

  • Students from countries that are members of the European Economic Area (European Union countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and who are entitled to Social Security benefit in their own country should present their European health insurance card. The form for this card is issued by your country's public health authorities and entitles you to medical care in Spain.
  • Students from countries outside the European Economic Area should establish whether there is a medical agreement between the social security system in their country and in Spain (this is the case for some Latin American countries).  If there is one, you should request the relevant document from the health authorities in your country. This document will entitle you to medical care in Spain.

Accidents and repatriation coverage:

  • All students must prove an insurance that covers accidents and repatriation. It can be taken out at the home country at individual level or by the home institution

In any case, you have the option of purchasing one, with a insurance company has signed an agreement with the UB: FERRER & OJEDA

The Incoming students through the programme Erasmus + placement, must take into account that the required Insurance will also have to include the Professional Liability coverage.

Incoming Erasmus Internship students are covered for civil loyability by Berkley España


Legal procedures

If you wish to stay legally in Spain for six months or more and you are not a national of any European Union country (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia,  Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Sweden) or the United Kingdom, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland, you will need to obtain a student residence card (NIE) This document allows you to live in Spain during your period of study, and also allows you to travel throughout the European Union and in countries that have signed agreements with Spain or the European Union for the free movement of persons.  

If the period of your studies in Barcelona is of 6 moths or less, the Spanish Embassy or Consulate might process a Student Visa with the comment "TOTAL STUDIES 180 DAYS".
This type of Visa can be extended and you don't have to go back to your country to obtain a new Visa.

Please find more information here